Digital certificate is a virtual document that contains a lot of essential details. These details are certificate holder name, public key (it is a cyber key that can encrypt your data to keep it covert from other entities except the recipient that you intend to give the data), validity date, and signature of the authorization, etc. These details help to prove the identity of an entity.
Digital certificate service is used in Public key infrastructure (PKI) (Public key infrastructure is the most innovative process to manage public keys and digital certificates. It can also make digital certificates. These certificates attach the public keys to particular entities. It can also cancel the certificates at the right time).
Working Process of Digital Certificates:
- Initially, the company’s server will request issuing a digital certificate to create a valid website. That server must make this request to a Certificate Authority.
- The certificate authority will initiate the verification process to verify the identity of the company. Once the authority finds no disorders in these identities, they generate the digital certificate.
- To connect with that website, you have to enter the HTTPS web address in your browser. Then the server of that company provides the digital certificate to your browser.
- After receiving the digital certificate from the web server, your browser goes through several verification processes.
The browser contains several trustworthy CA certificates installed in it. The certification provided by the webserver has to match with one of those certificates that the browser includes.
As the browser contains several installed CA certificates, it also contents the public key of the CA.
The signature in the digital certificate contains a hash. For this common key, the browser can decrypt the signature and obtains the hash.
It then compares the hash with the new hash that the browser computes to the certificate’s content. If the two hashes are entirely matched, the browser goes for the next step. Now the signature of the certificate authority is proved to be trustworthy.
Eventually, the browser checks names, the name in the certificate, and the website’s name. If the names contain the same characters, the browser allows you to connect with that website. As a symbol, the browser displays padlocks, green bar.
Reasons For Adopting Digital Certificate Service:
There are several reasons for adopting this service.
- The verification process of a particular entity becomes easier because digital certificates contain several essential unique details. Someone cannot duplicate it easily.
- The digital certificate signature is a symbol of assurance, which implies that only the website owner has a private key. This key is associated with the public key of the digital certificate.
- For this service, the verification process requires a short amount of time.
- Digital certificate service aids in erecting a reliable and secure connection between two entities. Through this service, one can exchange covert emails and make bank transactions without any worries.
- Some malicious entities pretend to be a website. If a user connects with those websites, they risk giving confidential information into the wrong hands. This service prevents the user from connecting with the malicious website. Thus, it plays a crucial role in securing our data.
Suppose you are the user and you want to buy some products from an online website. Then you will type the link in the search box of your browser to that particular website.
There is no guarantee that this website will be that specific website, which you are looking for. It can be a malicious website that is pretending to be that website. As a remedy to this problem, a digital certificate is used in Public Key Infrastructure (PKI).
Using digital certificates in Public Key Infrastructure (PKI), a trustworthy connection for exchanging documents can be formed. This service keeps our documents completely secured.
For the Digital certificate service, we are now able to detect malicious websites. We can also avoid them. Nowadays, the usage of digital certificates has become widened because it is also used in smart cards, smartphones, and other devices.
This service is the most effective way to adopt automation (it is a kind of technology that completes a process by allowing minimum human interference and maximum technological assistance).